Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What we did with the blueberries

We made jam! MMMmmmm!

A couple of weeks ago, I posted here about all the blueberries that we had picked. Well, last Thursday, we made blueberry jam. MMMMMmmmm. It is soooo good. I love blueberry jam.

The recipe we used is an old family secret. LOL Not really! It's the recipe in the Surejell instructions. It's super easy to make, doesn't take long and tastes so good.


I had my son doing the most fun part, which is squishing the berries. We don't use a food processor because what fun would that be? Instead, I have this old cone shaped metal thingy that I got at First Monday in Canton years ago. You put the berries inside and just start jabbing them with this cone shaped wooden thingy. It's a real stress reliever. When they're squished enough, you pour them out into a bowl.

Then, you cook them with the sugar etc. according to Surejell package instructions. We ended up with 9 jars. Some were the bigger jam jars and some were little bitty - like for giving as gifts.

Of course, there were berries left over. We ate a bunch of them and froze the rest. I love berry season.

Blueberry TIP: Here is a blueberry freezing tip that I got from Martha Stewart a few years ago. To get your frozen blueberries to maintain a nice round, just picked shape, lay them out single layer on cookie sheets after washing them. Put them in the freezer for an hour or so and let them freeze. Then, you can take them out, put them into gallon ziploc bags and they will stay nice and round.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.