Thursday, March 20, 2014

A Quilty Finish - QR Bar Code Quilt

**Personal note - I intended for this blog post to go up 2 weeks ago but unfortunately, there was a death in my family.  This combined with a preplanned short spring break trip and preparing for the local quilt show has put a stop to my blog posting for the last 2 weeks.  But I'm back now and I have a quilty finish to talk about today!**

Well, I've gone and done it.  I finally finished my QR Bar Code quilt and I only had to unpick the binding 3 times!


 TADA!  I love it when I finish something because most of the time I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

I like this picture because I think you can really see the pattern of the code because of the distance to the quilt.  The closer the quilt is, the more the pattern disappears.
 I went with an organic wave quilting pattern which I also did on my Martha's Cross quilt.
I love this quilting pattern.  It's fun to do and I think it looks great.  Especially on quilts like this that are all squares.
It is quilted with a light gray Aurifil thread number 2600.  I didn't want to use white because of the way it would have contrasted with the turquoise on the back of the quilt.  I wanted the thread to disappear more than white would have.
And this is the awesome back of the quilt.  I used all the leftover squares to make the rectangle of squares in the center.  I used Kona Snow to create a frame around the squares and then finished it off with Kona Turquoise.  I'm not sure if I like the back or front more.  :)
Pretty, yes?  The quilting runs vertically up and down the quilt.

 
This is my label.  I don't like the way I did it.  I found this tutorial online that keeps you from having unfinished edges by sewing 2 squares of fabric together and then turning it right side out so all the seams are on the inside.  Then, you attach it to your quilt back and quilt over it.  I can't remember where I saw the tutorial but I don't like it and probably will never use it again.  The edges are too bulky because of the inside seams and it looks terrible.

But, if you notice at the bottom of the label, there is a scanable QR code that Ebony Love sent me for my label.  If you scan it, my quilt means "HAPPY".

I have since found a tutorial on My Quilt Infatuation that is much better and I've used it 2 times now.  It makes a much prettier label.
And look at the binding.  Not bad huh?  I think I'm getting better.
Quilt Stats:
QR Bar Code Quilt which means Happy
Pattern by Ebony Love

Measures 43 1/2 inches by 43 1/2 inches
Pieced and quilted by Tricia Harvey
Quilted on my home machine, a Brother SE - 400
Finished February 2014

Made with all Kona Cotton in many different colors.  Quilted with Aurifil thread in light gray 2600.
Organic wave quilting.  Binding is the same Kona Turquoise from the back of the quilt.

Ok, now here is a neat FYI.  The is a website - http://www.qrstuff.com/ - where you can go and type in anything and it will give you the QR code.  You need to select "plain text" and then you can type in your name, your kids names or anything, get the code and make your own quilt.  I also thought it would be a neat wedding gift to put in the couples names and the date of their wedding and then make the QR code quilt.

**Linking up to My Quilt Infatuation**

10 comments:

  1. I saw your quilt yesterday when I was helping with the hanging of the quilts for the show. It truly did look "Happy" waiting for the big event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tana! I saw your sweet ballerina and your third place ribbon - that is so great! I loved your sock monkey mini quilt too. I wish it had been on the Friday auction because I didn't go Saturday.

      Delete
  2. love this. Is it hand quilting? Looks like it, and if so, wow.
    Leeanna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LA - no it's not hand quilted. I did it on my Brother machine.

      Delete
  3. Great quilt! The colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors in this quilt are super happy! I also think it is interesting how bar codes have changed... this is a super fun quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bar code quilts are such a laugh - I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I have been playing with the idea of creating a QR code quilt. Yours is gorgeous. I never would have thought to use color. Beautifully done!
    - Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, I just love the organic lines.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.