Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Quilty Finish - Martha's Cross Quilt


I started working on these cross blocks way back during the summer, I believe.  I blogged about them here and here.  This quilt was to be for a very special person who is one of the most genuine people I have ever met.  She has a pure heart - do you know what I mean?  It's hard to describe so I'll just say that you don't meet people like Martha everyday.

The crosses have a special meaning but I'm not going to go into all that.  Let's just say this was a very special quilt for me to make and to give as a friend.  
Although, just from a quilter's standpoint, I LOVE this quilt and I wanted to keep it so bad.  I love the simplicity of this block and the fabrics I used.  I think I'm going to make another one for myself just because I can't stand it if I don't.  LOL.


I know there are a lot of tutorials for this block out on the internet but I actually got my instructions from the book - Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop for Quilters.  I find this book to be a great reference book and for anyone new to quilting.  It gives instructions on 60 or so different blocks but it starts you out on easier blocks that have square pieces, then on to rectangles and then the tougher shapes.  I'd like to try to start at the beginning and work my way through the book to practice and build my piecing skills.
Anyhoo, about my gorgeous quilt,  I made the majority of my blocks with solid crosses in the middle using a variety of Kona cottons and also some Bella Solids.  The white background fabric is Kona White.  I mixed those up a bit with a print occassionally and the went even further by inverting the blocks.  So, I had 3 that had white crosses and print/solid backgrounds.  The blocks all turned out bright and cheerful which was my intention.
I quilted my quilt with an organic wavy line.  Organic meaning I didn't mark anything.  I just started sewing.  I really love how the quilting turned out and I think I'll be doing this quilting on the quilt I'm working on now.  It's basically straight line stitching but with a twist.  I used my walking foot and my little Janome machine, rolled my sides up real good and just went for it.  Also, I'd like to add that I use the 505 Basting spray on everything that I've done so far.  I've tried basting pins but I don't seem to have the knack for them and why mess with them when you can use 505. 
It looks pretty I think.  I used white Aurifil thread in 50 wt. in the color white.  Isn't it funny how it looks green on the green fabric?
This is the quilt back.  I used KonaWhite  for the top and bottom strips.  The middle strip starts off with a red/white dot which is a Michael Miller Ta Dot fabric.  The chaotic fun, colored fabric is my favorite print ever and it is from Robert Kaufman.  This was my last piece but since this quilt meant so much to me, it didn't hurt too bad to use it for this.


The binding is a black and white zig zag fabric from Mama Said Sew by Moda.  I think it finished of the quilt perfectly.  I machine bound the quilt front and back.  I stitch in the ditch on the front of the quilt to sew the binding on the back.  I'm getting really good at it too.  You can barely see the stitches on front.
Lovely and bright quilt back.


My lovely Robert Kaufman fabric.  You can see the cool quilting so well.
This is my lovely friend Martha holding her quilt.  She came over a few days before Christmas and I literally finished the binding that morning before she got here.  She seemed so excited about it and I was excited to give it to her.  

I am so proud of this quilt.  I learned a few quilting lessons when making it - especially about trimming blocks.
The quilt size finished is 48 x 60 inches.  This is the largest quilt I've made to date.

Thanks for reading!

**Linked up to Needle and Thread Thursday, Crazy Mom Quilts and Can I get a Whoop Whoop!

15 comments:

  1. Great quilt! This has been on my to do list for a very long time. Hmmm, seems a lot of comments I leave on blogs say that. But I guess we all have that long to do list in quilting don't we :)
    I love the binding as well. I used that on a soccer quilt I made and it's so clean and crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilt is fabulous! Such bright and cheery colors! I really like your organic quilting too, not marking or measuring is the best! Your friend is very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love how this turned out. Such a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful quilt. Have pinned it to my pinterest board.
    leena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks Leena!
    Christine, yes my to do list is long. Two pages now just for the new year.
    Thanks to everyone for reading my blog! Hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous....just love it! What size are the blocks? Thanks for sharing! Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt. Wonderful fabrics and love, love, love the quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marie, the blocks are 12 inches finished size.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun wavy quilting and the binding....love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These quilts are so much fun. I haven't made one exactly like this, though. Love how your use of white. You did such a great job. I'm sure your friend will treasure it. I wish I had a friend who quilted, so maybe I would get one every now and then. :) LOL Happy Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really beautiful quilt. the colors of the crosses pop so nicely against the white, and I love your quilting!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pretty quilt! And I love that piece on the back! Such a gorgeous fabric and the perfect thing to have on the back of your lovely quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quilt! Will she let your borrow it long enough for you to enter it in the quilt show?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tana, I thought about asking her for it back for the quilt show but I just feel kind of weird about it. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.