Monday, April 27, 2015

Quilt Show Challenge Blocks

This is a bit of a late post because I completed these blocks back in January, I think.  But since I'm behind in my blogging anyway, to heck with it.  I can post anything I want.  HA

My local traditional quilt guild has a quilt show every March.  We have the opportunity to purchase kits of fabric (usually 2 fabrics) for $2.00 and then we are to make a quilt block to be entered into the quilt block challenge.

This year I purchased 2 kits.  The background fabric was black and the other fabric was a multicolored.  You can add any other fabrics to the block that you want and you can make your block anything you want.  It can be any technique.

I chose paper piecing for both my blocks.  My son had gotten me the book A Flock of Feathered Stars by Carolyn Cullinan McCormick for Christmas and I used a pattern from there for one block.  I love this book and I intend to make every block in it.  I was thinking maybe in red and white.

My other block is a flying geese block and I made my own pattern because I couldn't find a paper pieced one that was the right size.  But that's ok because it turned out pretty good.

The ribbons are judged but I don't really understand their judging process.  Every single block gets a ribbon.  What is the point of that?  Who are you competing against?  No one?  Then at the next guild meeting, they divide the blocks into sacks and draw names to see who gets a stack of the blocks.  You have to participate in making the blocks to be entered in the drawing.  

Anywho, I also made a small quilt for our small quilt auction which raises money for the guild to use for speakers and workshops and such.  Of course, I paper pieced it :)
I used a pattern by Quiet Play which I purchased from Craftsy.  I don't have a finished picture on my computer but I'm sure there is one somewhere.  So I'll just show you what I have.
I can't find what I did with the dimensions but I think it's about 12 inches x 20 inches.  I quilted it with what I call fractured glass straight line quilting.  Just random lines across, diagonal, all over.  The back was the black Architextures print from Carolyn Freidlander and I just bound it with the same white Kona I used for the front.  It turned out super cute - in my opinion.
My friend Robyn bought it at the auction before anyone else got a chance.  Thanks Robyn!

1 comment:

  1. I eagerly await more feathered star blocks--love them and I like the colors in yours. Claire aka knitnkwilt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.