Wednesday, September 17, 2014

WIP Wednesday - My Inspired Project

One of the first modern quilting books that I ever purchased was Quilting Modern by Jackie Gering and Katie Pedersen.  The first quilt that jumped out at me in the book and begged to be made was the Fiesta Wall quilt.  I've wanted to make it for the past 2 years.  And I've had the fabric purchased to make it for the past 2 years.  :)

Lately, it's been calling to me again and I decided that I wanted to get it made in time to enter it into Quiltcon (deadline is the end of November).  So I pulled out my fabrics a few days ago and started thinking about the quilt.  I still love the quilt in the book but lately I've been wanting to design my own quilts more and more.  Or at least take inspiration from the pattern but put my own spin on it.  So, I got out my colored pencils and my graph paper and drew up a plan.

And that's my WIP for this week.  I'm working on my Fiesta quilt (possible name change is in the works).

I read a lot of blogs and try to stay up on what's going on in the online quilting community.  By doing so, it can sometimes be easy to go with the flow and just like what's trendy at the moment.  Lately I'm getting better at stopping myself, pulling back and thinking about the things that I really like and dislike.  How am I a modern quilter? How do my likes and dislikes make me one?
Well, I love patchwork, I love scrappy, I love minimalism or negative space - but not too much, I love traditional quilt blocks, I love traditional quilt blocks that have been made modern, I love modern quilt blocks, I LOVE paper piecing, I love sampler quilts, I love the colors blue, green and purple - the cool side of the color wheel, I love gray and black and some shades of chocolate brown - but not too much and I love color combos that are opposite each other on the color wheel.  

What do I dislike?  I dislike traditional borders and sashings with the little corner blocks, I dislike low volume, I dislike too much minimalism, I dislike some shades of brown, I dislike repro/vintagey fabrics, I dislike Civil War fabrics, I dislike solids that are too dusty and I'm sure there is more that I dislike.
**NOTE:  This is my personal opinion about the things listed.  I realize not everyone carries my opinion and that's what makes the world so great. 
After thinking about what I like and dislike for some time, I drew up my plan for my *Fiesta* quilt.  It has some of the things I love in it such as patchwork, minimalism (but not too much), and cool colors.  We'll see how it goes.  I really need to finish up some WIP's around here.  They're starting to take over the place.

Wow!  This post was just suppose to be about my WIP and it got all preachy.  Sorry about that.  Please don't take offense if I have disliked something you love. 

**Linking up to My Quilt Infatuation**

8 comments:

  1. It's great to hear that there are things you like and dislike, it's too easy to start believing that everyone loves LV, so I should love LV too... I look forward to seeing the progress of your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxious to see where your quilt goes! It's been fun reading everyone's likes and dislikes. I think all our different tastes makes things interesting. How boring would it be if we all did/loved the same things :) I love low volume and I love vintage LOL. But I love lots of the things you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Christine! The world would be a boring place with our differences. I do think people need to define what they like though. I see so many just jumping on the band wagon. It makes things kind of boring sometimes.
      I'm glad you know what you love - that's what's important.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to get a bigger reveal on your Fiesta project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a chuckle, reading your post. I agree with much, especially avoiding "trendy" for its own sake. Now if it opens up new horizons and I like it, that is a different matter. I'll follow gladly.
    I think modifying a project or even designing your own is definitely something Jackie and Katie would approve of! And I had to follow you so I can see what you end up doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for new horizons - you are so right. I love following patterns but I think I need to start challenging myself sometimes to design my own. And thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post, leaving much to think about. What are my likes & dislikes... (this week anyways)... I will ponder it. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.