Friday, February 14, 2014

Friday Finishes - Quilt Guild Challenge Blocks

First, I'd like to say Happy Valentine's Day!
Now that that's out of the way, lets get down to business.  My local quilt guild is having a quilt show in March.  Our challenge blocks were due this week and so I thought I'd show them for my Friday finish.

We were given two fabrics.  They are both from the Mama Said Sew line from Moda.  The "sew" text fabric was to be used for the background and the circle fabric had to be used somewhere in the block.  We could add in our own fabrics and we didn't have to use all the circle fabric, just some.
So, here is my first block.  It's the practice block from the 2013 Lucky Stars BOM from Elizabeth Dackson's Don't Call Me Betsy blog.
 Our quilt show theme this year is a modern theme.  Our instructions with our fabric were to think outside the box.  I think I did that pretty well.
 I didn't want to use red in my block, so when I was paper piecing this, I cut all of the red out.  I just used the gray, cream, and black part of my circle fabric.  Also, I used the "sew" text fabric for the background just like I was suppose to, just not the only background.  I also used this bar code fabric from Zen Chic.  
I love those little aqua elephants from Michael Miller.

Here is block number two.  It's called Strippy Spool and it is a tutorial block on the Persimmon Dreams blog.
This time I did use the red - just a lot of other red with it.  And I added the green to make it really pop.  I love the Bobbins and Bits line by Pat Bravo that this green fabric is from.  The other reds are fabrics from my stash.
Once again, I thought outside the box when I ran out of the "sew" text fabric.  I didn't have enough to make the HST blocks in the corners.  So, I used this other cream and black text print that I already had.  I did briefly consider driving across town to my LQS to buy more of the "sew" text fabric but to be honest, it's not my favorite fabric and I didn't want to be stuck with leftovers.
So, there you have it.  Now I just need to quilt two quilts and sew hanging sleeves on 4 quilts and I'll be all ready for the quilt show.  Ack!!  Wish me luck!

*Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts and My Quilt Infatuation**


6 comments:

  1. Both of the blocks look amazing! Modern fun! Good luck on getting them all finished on time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the star block for the quilt challenge, it is amazing. visiting you from crazy mum quilts. Have you ever thought of taking comment verification off - it is a pain doing those numbers. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I hate those number verification things too. It has been turned off. I really need to check my settings more often.
      Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  3. great blocks! and you know what? I would have never noticed the different text print if you hadn't pointed it out, ha!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute blocks. Good use of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. your star block is out-of-this-world amazing!!! I really love the fabrics you picked for it. it totally rocks!

    and the way you varied the red threads of your spool block is so cool, too. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.