Monday, December 30, 2013

2013 Handmade Christmas Gifts - Part 1

University of Texas Longhorn Pillowcase - Part 1 of my handmade Christmas gifts for this year.

My husband graduated from UT Austin which is a big deal in Texas.  There are two major college systems in Texas - UT and Texas A & M.  The Longhorns and the Aggies.  There is a branch of one of those, and sometimes both, in just about every mid-sized/large city in Texas.  So, I wanted to make him a Longhorn pillowcase for his stocking this year - especially after I found this fabric on clearance at Hobby Lobby ;).

I used the AllPeopleQuilt.com million pillowcase tutorial.  This was the first time I had ever made a pillowcase but this tutorial was amazing and the pillowcase is super easy to make.  I don't think it will be the last time I use this tutorial.  I see pillowcases in the futures of everyone I know!  LOL
 
 Isn't it cute all rolled up?  He was surprised and impressed that I made it.  Yay!

For this tutorial, there are 2 pieces of fabric to cut.  The one problem that I had with this tutorial is that it didn't tell you which way to turn the outer band of fabric if it is a directional print.  So, of course, I turned mine the wrong way the first time I sewed it and had to rip it out.  I wanted the outer band to go in the same direction as the main fabric.
 So, if you have a directional piece of fabric for your band, it needs to go this way.  The band fabric goes upside down and the main fabric is right side up.  If you check out the tutorial, you'll see what I mean about placing the fabric this way.  It has lots of pictures and is so easy to follow.
 Here is my pillowcase all rolled up and I'm sewing it into the "tube".
 And tada!  I got it right!
 The tutorial explains how to do french seams so that there are no raw fabric edges.  It looks very professional.
 A perfect pillowcase.
 With fabric all going the right way.
I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.  Ours was quiet but nice.  Very low key.  There were only 5 of us and we had our traditional sandwiches - I'm not kidding, it really is a tradition.

1 comment:

  1. cute gift! I'm sure he loved it! I'm from Baton Rouge and love LSU, but my husband and I lived in Austin for two years (a long time ago), and I remember thinking that Austinites are just as crazy for UT as I am for LSU!

    I'm so happy you shared this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.