Monday, March 31, 2014

Burying Knots While Quilting

Since I first started quilting, I have been terrified of having to bury knots in my quilts.  That's what I love about straight line quilting.  You just take a couple of extra stitches on each side and done.

If you're starting and stopping in the middle of a quilt to change thread or something - Ack! - you'd have to tie it off and bury the knot.  The horror of horrors!

One of the quilting bloggers that I follow was just talking about this very topic recently - but for the life of me, I can't figure out which blogger it was nor can I find the blog post.  But she directed everyone to the great tutorial written by Amanda Jean over at Crazy Mom Quilts called "how to bury knots when machine quilting".  If anyone reading this knows which blogger I'm talking about, please share in the comments section or send me an email so I can give her proper credit.

So, while I was quilting my Giant Starburst Quilt, I knew I would need to bury some knots since I was using 5 colors of thread.  I scooted on over to Amanda Jean's tutorial and worked through it step by step.  I highly recommend this tutorial.  It is well written and easy to understand. 
 Bring your bobbin thread up to the top before you start quilting.
 Tie a knot in the two pieces of thread.   Thread a needle with the threads.  I used easy threading needles.  I've also heard them called cheater needles.  I bought them at Hancock's on sale but I don't remember the price.
Make a stitch about an inch or so away from the knot - make it a long stitch.
 Pull the thread through.  You will feel or see the knot "pop" under the fabric.
 Cut the threads off and you're done.  You've buried a knot.  

Now I have nothing to fear.  Hahahaha
If I can do this, anyone can.  Don't be afraid, just try.   It's good to learn new skills!

**Linking up to Anything Goes Monday at Stitch by Stitch**

4 comments:

  1. the goal for my next quilt... TY for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS... this response is from the fourth account I have started to participate in your blog. Hoping burying knots will be easier than successfully posting on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, you make me laugh. You're a mess, a hot mess. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, thank you. I also always do straight lines, to avoid burying knots that I had no idea how to do! Hooray, I can do this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.