Thursday, January 16, 2014

Quilty Finish - QR Bar Code Quilt Top

In this post, I talked about some of my classes that I took at the 2013 Houston Quilt Festival including the QR Bar Code quilt with Ebony Love.

What is a QR Bar code?  To be honest, I had no idea when I took the class.  But it was listed under the modern quilting category and it sounded cool plus I read Ebony Love's articles in Quilty magazine so I wanted to take her class.  Anyhoo, this is a QR bar code.


 I always just called those "the little scanny box things".  I mean, I have an Iphone but I can barely use it.  Seriously, I have about 3 apps and they don't include the scanny app for the QR  code.
 But once I got into the class and saw the cool quilt she had made, I got so excited.  I've always just ignored those little things but now I think they're cool.  I also think Ebony is cool for having thought to make this into a quilt.

Our class was great.  It included the above book which had patterns for 4 different bar code quilts.  Each quilt meant something different when you scanned it.  I chose to make the quilt which means "happy" when you scan it.  The fabrics were also included in the class.  Precut Kona cottons in 2.5 inch strips plus about a yard of the background fabric.  All we had to do to get started was cut the strips into 2.5 inch blocks.   There are 9 large blocks per quilt.  Each large block has 49 2.5 inch blocks in it.

I almost finished 1 block in class (just had the last 2 rows to attach) but when I got home and started working on it, I realized my sewing machine and the sewing machine in the classroom had 2 different 1/4 inch seam allowances.  Sigh.  I scrapped that block and started over.
Here is my quilt top all finished.  I'm working on the back now.  I'm using the remainder of the 2.5 inch squares as a stripe and then completing the back with a solid color.  I've promised to have this quilt completed in time to enter it in our local quilt show.  This years theme is modern quilting so it should fit in.  All the colors and the size of the quilt (which is about 43 x 43 ish) make it unable to scan with your phone but I think all the pretty colors still read "happy".  Don't you?


My son held it up outside for me yesterday which was a lovely sunny day.  It makes it look like stained glass doesn't it?  I just love it.

I wish I had time before the quilt show to remake it in a black and white quilt because I think people would recognize what it is better if it were black and white.  My husband says no one will have a clue what it is.  Maybe they'll read the little card on the side.  :)


And one last thing.  Look over to the right!!! I've joined the Modern Quilt Guild as an individual member.  Pretty cool huh?  I'm pretty excited about it.
**Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, and My Quilt Infatuation.**



11 comments:

  1. Ooh! What a super fun quilt! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like so much fun to make and is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool. I learned the hard way about A true scant quarter inch the hard way. Now I always try to use the same machine for each quilt. (Must have been hard because it was a class).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the typos in my earlier comment. My iPad was acting up, and it wouldn't let me edit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally hilarious and bonkers. I was wondering when I would see one of those thingies done as a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is one cool quilt. I'm with you though, I've never actually used one of those codes with my phone. and I always love a great "stained glass" quilt top photo!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a great idea for a quilt. The colors are really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. this is striking and such a fun, 'punch' of color. It's so unique. I have got to get me some solids. They looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really cool! It's so fun and bright. I love the idea of a QR code. Good job and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your comments. Michal, solids have won me over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really inspiring stuff!!! This post is fantastic, and equally fantastic is this conversation thread. Awesome Work. Keep it Up!
    industrial coding machines

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading my blog and leaving a comment. I read every comment and try to reply to most of them although it may take me a couple of days - I'm a bit slow.